- v.tr. & refl. exert too much.
* * *verbexert (oneself) excessively and go beyond one's strength-
don't overexert yourself when exercising!• Derivationally related forms: ↑overexertion• Hypernyms: ↑exert• Verb Frames:-
Somebody ——s somebody
* * *■ overexert yourselfoverdo it, overstrain yourself, overtax yourself, overtire yourself, overwork, strain yourself, wear yourself out, drive yourself too hard, work too hard, run yourself into the ground, fatigue, work yourself to death, push yourself too hardCOLLOQ. burn the candle at both ends, knock yourself out≠ idle, laze
* * *\\| ̷ ̷ ̷ ̷ ̷ ̷| ̷ ̷\ transitive verb: to exert too much
don't overexert yourself: to exert oneself to excess
whenever he overexerted or was upset — William Humphrey
* * *—overexertedly, adv. —overexertion, n./oh'veuhr ig zerrt"/, v.t.to exert excessively.[1840-50; OVER- + EXERT]
* * *overexertˈ (↑exert) vt(5)• • •Main Entry: ↑over-
Useful english dictionary. 2012.